Tuesday, 4 August 2016, 17:45:39 UTC+3 kelo wrote:
> anyone knows a solution to get it working somehow with this specific dell xps
> 15 wirless card the
>  Broadcom BCM43602 .  Im not an expert with anything terminal related.

Broadcom wireless cards always require proprietary closed drivers, which are
probably not just full of backdoors but also contain a lot of badly written
code with security vulnerabilities and bugs. Their hardware is not good
either... maybe Broadcom could be acceptable for Windows users, but it really
sucks for Linux ! At the same time, wireless cards of Atheros ath9k family -
are running on 100% open source drivers, and giving a quite good quality/power
of signal. https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Atheros <--- from this list, I recommend
Atheros AR9462, it is the best card of ath9k family - supports 2.4GHz & 5GHz
WiFi networking, as well as Bluetooth 4.0 . It works flawlessly with QubesOS, I
have tested it. AR9462 could be received from AliExpress or eBay for less than
$10, shipping included, so there are no reasons to continue struggling with low
end Broadcom card - that was shipped with your laptop only because it was among
the cheapest options for laptop's manufacturer (only a few people care about
preinstalled wireless cards, so the manufacturers are usually going for the
cheapest offer, which is often Broadcom)

The only catch there is: your manufacturer could have installed a WiFi card
whitelist in your BIOS, which prevents booting your computer if non-listed
wireless card has been found. However, it is possible to mod your BIOS file and
break this artificial limitation - either by removing whitelist completely, or
disabling a check for it, or altering the whitelist to replace device IDs of
whitelisted WiFi card with device ID of your new WiFi card. Luckily, there are
already a lot of BIOS'es with whitelist removed, available at bios-mods site
and other websites, so if your laptop's model is relatively popular - you are
likely to find that someone already did that work for you. Also, in some lucky
cases, your laptop is supported by Coreboot or Libreboot project - which do not
contain any whitelists, and could replace the manufacturer's BIOS...