On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 2:26:02 AM UTC-5, Steve wrote:
> On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 10:09:56 AM UTC+4, Steve wrote:
> > If a memory stick infected with Bad USB is inserted into a laptop running
> > Qubes with the USB devices running in a VM, does the laptop USB firmware
> > get rewritten by the Bad USB ?
>
> What can I do on a fresh installation on a brand new laptop to ensure that
> once installed with Qubes the laptop firmware cannot be over written written
> (assuming I am using an optical drive for installation,) thx

Qubes installs a usbvm called sys-usb by default.

so where you get the iso I guess is the real question.  And what usb stick you
use to write it on.  Maybe someone has some comments on a good usb brand to
buy.  I buy microcenter.

Where you get the iso is another story.  so use your brand new computer to
download it. hopefully its coming with an os pre-installed?   maybe harden
windows first follow these instructions before you boot the os.
www.hardenwindows10forsecurity.com,  (read the instructions on an older
computer not your new one)  make sure to follow the qubes install instructions
how to verify the key signatures.  and then hope for the best.  use good
security practices.  keep stuff as compartmentalized as your mind can handle.

I been in my amazon videos qube mostly since the holidays.  ANd so all i do in
that vm is watch videos nothing else.  I use about a dozen diff vms for
different tasks I do on the pc.  I log into this yellow colored qube, the
default personal,  to log into my webmail, google, stuff where i'm not
devastated if the password gets stolen.  more sensitive stuff in another.

Actually its not true about my amazon qube.  I'm actually always in a
disposable vm the most out of anything.  I use it for all random tasks that
don't need credentials.