On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 10:11:18AM +0100, Robert Mittendorf wrote:
> Hey fellow Qubes-Users,
>
> I want to use an remote PULSE audio server to playback sound output. The
> server side is up & running. The connecting AppVM is based on the
> debian-8 template
>
> Standard auto-discover does not work, probably because the AppVM tries
> to locate the remote server in the virtual internal networks of my Qubes OS.
> I tried to use a tunnel in /etc/pulse/default.pa:
> load-module module-tunnel-sink-new server=%SERVER_IP% sink_name=Remote
> channels=2 rate=44100
>
> I noticed that Qubes itself uses PULSE audio.
> When I boot a VM, there is a Qubes VSINK device, but no tunnel.
> If I restart PULSE audio
> pulseaudio -k
> pulseaudio --start
> that device is gone, but the tunnel is shown.
>
> Even though the tunnel is shown, I cannot playback sound using it.

This is probably some network related problem. Check pulseaudio logs
(probably just `journalctl`).

> I would like to have both devices (Qubes VSINK and the remote PULSE
> server) to choose from in pavucontrol
>
> Questions
> 1) What does Qubes do in order to show/connect to the VSINK? Is there a
> different config file which is loaded when an AppVM boots?

Yes, the default pulseaudio instance is started with
/etc/pulse/qubes-default.pa as config. It's done with this script:
start-pulseaudio-with-vchan

> 2) Is a tunnel the right/best option to connect to the remote PULSE
> audio server?

I haven't used that module, but I think you can try to load it
dynamically using pactl, instead of restarting pulseaudio with modified
config.

> 3) Is it a bug that a restart of pulseaudio does remove/not reconnect to
> Qubes VSINK?

Depends on what you want to accomplish ;)

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab