On 01/16/2017 05:38 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks it is a horrible idea to use a closed
source hardware device designed by a bunch of kids and probably made in
china to manage lots of money?

Hardware crypto sucks because it can't be verified without a team of PhD's
and millions of dollars in equipment.

Well, every way has its own problems. We have seen that even using a cold
VM with Qubes may fail because of a Xen bug, so the most reasonable with
money is to share the risk among different and independent routes, so if
one fails you'll not loose everything. So Trezor may well be one of them.

That said, isn't this https://github.com/trezor/ some indication that we
may trust Trezor a little bit?
Best
Fran

That repo doesn't have the source for the device, nor the
compilation/flashing instructions (tivo'ized!) and the firmware and hardware
isn't open source either.
I think you've missed the second repo on this page:
https://github.com/trezor/trezor-mcu
and here:
http://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-tech/hardware.html

Just out of curiosity - I've compiled it (very simple instructions) and
the resulted binary have exactly the same hash as the binary firmware
downloadable from their website.

It also needs a web-app and a browser plugin on chrome of all things to
properly function.
Or a simple python tool (https://github.com/trezor/python-trezor). Or
electrum wallet (also open source). And probably many more have support
for it.

It hasn't been audited by an outside firm for security
I don't know any, but as none of your other asserts are true, I will assume
the same here.

and it uses the
insecure USB bus which can easily be fucked around with.
Yes, USB is quite complex, especially on the host side. On the device
side there is also some complexity, but much less. Especially when you
implement only serial-like link (disguised as HID device).
Actually in case of Trezor, I'd be more concerned about adding too much
functionality (gpg, ssh-agent, u2f and more...).

If you have that much money in bitcoin maybe you should simply buy and carry
around a novena or an old coreboot compatible small laptop, you could have
them talk to eachother via rs-232 serial which is very safe much safer than
black box crypto.
Of course you can do whatever you like. Some consider hardware wallets
secure enough, some do not. But lets use facts when taking such
decision.

- -- Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab