On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 1:26:01 AM UTC+1, Ángel wrote:
> Ted Brenner wrote:
> > What is the best way to add and partition disks in dom0? I just added
> > some hard drives that I'd like to format and partition and then pass
> > those to a guest VM for storing my person files. With xfce, I don't
> > see any GUI based disk utility. Does this have to be done via the
> > command line?
> >

> > Thanks!
> >
> I would recommend you to simply attach the disks to be formatted into a
> VM and format them there. What's the point of exposing dom0 to them?
> You can later attach them to the same or different VM for usage.

Is it reliable though? For example will the result always be exactly the same
as if the drive was managed in Dom0? Does the used file-system matter if
applied through a VM or are any possible factors completely unaffected? For
example is there a difference to manage BTRFS, ZFS, NTFS, EXT4, random exotic
FS, RAID of any build kind, HDD/SSD, old or new cutting edge drive
technologies, or any other possible factor, through a VM compared to a bare
metal OS?
Anything at all to look out for if undertaking changes on a drive through a VM?

Does it pose a risk change in the rate of bit errors? For example from file
system or drive error odds with an 1 in 10^15, to 1 in 10^7 risk increase?
It is after all better to be proactive to prevent possible issues, than it is
to leave it unknown, when it comes to precious irreplaceable important data.

Best practice in terms of security, yes sure, but is it also best practice in
terms of data integrity? Is there any possible trade-offs here to be aware of?

There may be no difference at all, or there may be. But the point is, for those
not in the knowing, which one is it? It would be great to be reasonably certain
when using new technology where important data is involved, where common sense
may need an update, rather than being among the first victims due to outdated
assumptions, relics of an old age in an ever faster changing world.

So taking all that into account, all possible factors included, is it really
just as reliable to manage drives in VM's as when done in Dom0?