I am in the process of installing PlayOnLinux into my Fedora 24 template.
Currently, my only use for it is the Kindle app.  I suspect I'll find further
need for it in the future.  My original plan was to just use the Kindle app in
one of my existing app VMs.  In the future, I might want some other application
available in a different app VM.

I was rather shocked to see that PlayOnLinux hogs 800 MB on my hard drive.  I
guess there's support in there for just about every freaking service that any
Windows application might want.  I had just assumed that that stuff would be
installed on an as-needed basis (Maybe standalone Wine does this?).

This got me thinking about attack surface.  Since this is in my regular Fedora
24 template, won't this codebase be included in every app VM I run, whether I'm
running PlayOnLinux in that app VM or not?  Presumably none of that code would
be running, but it would still be accessible to malware that wanted to call it.

Related to that, if I am using a PlayOnLinux application, then whole hunks of
that codebase would now be running in that app VM, so any preexisting
malware/bugs would now be alive and fermenting within the app VM.

To minimize these effects, I'm now thinking that the best thing to do is to
install PlayOnLinux in a standalone VM and run all of its applications in that
VM only.

I'd kind of like to minimize the rampant spread of standalone VMs in my system,
but it seems like this one might be justified.