On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 6:51:19 PM UTC-5, Chris Laprise wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > <https://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/tor-phone-prototype-google-hostility-android-open-source/>
> >

> > <https://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/tor-phone-prototype-google-hostility-android-open-source/
> >
> > <https://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/tor-phone-prototype-google-hostility-android-open-source/>>>that
> >                 "He suggests leaving the prototype in airplane mode and
> >                 connecting to the Internet through a second, less-trusted
> >                 phone, or a cheap Wi-Fi cell router."
> >

> >             This is pretty dubious advice. What is to stop an attacker
> >         from
> >             breaking into the mobile router and using that as an attack
> >             platform to break into your main device? A few minutes...?
> >

> >         But doesn't a firewall add some additional security? Otherwise
> >         which is the purpose of having a firewall?
> >

> >     A layer 3 service cannot protect you against a layer 2 attack.
> >
> >     Now, if we're going to pretend that NIC-DMA attacks are not a part
> >     of the threat model, then we can just run a regular OS instead of
> >     Qubes.
> >
> >     Router firewalls were a "good" option in 2002, and the word
> >     "firewall" itself is powerful and insists we place trust in it.
> >     But it was folly to place trust in network infrastructure in the
> >     first place and now router-firewalls are popular targets. They
> >     contain NICs with imperfect and obscure hardware and firmware.
> >

> > Thanks Chris. Would you think the same of openwrt firmware?  Qubes
> > firewall architecture is obviously the way to go. But phones, netbooks
> > etc cannot afford Qubes. While they would deserve some sort of perhaps
> > minor protection.
> > Best
> > Fran
>
> I have installed Openwrt myself. It doesn't have better architecture,
> but its open and security updates are more readily available. Beyond
> that, I haven't thought about better routers in years because I've seen
> no sign of a breakthrough in architecture, and I've also become more
> mindful of the maxim that net infrastructure shouldn't be trusted.
> Endpoint security is the one truly good type of security practice, and
> Qubes is like the "fine point" on the endpoint. :)
>
> Papers are starting to circulate that call-for or describe better
> security architecture for IoT, including Qubes' approach of isolating
> NICs and such. To me, IoT is very similar to (if not the same as) net
> infrastructure, but in smaller packages. The attention gives me reason
> to hope that even tablets and phones will significantly improve.
>
> But for now, we should remind ourselves that smartphones have one main
> design goal over other devices: Ultra-convenience. We shouldn't
> automatically assume they are appropriate for whatever use case, and
> I find it a little disturbing that the Tor Project's interest in hardware
> has gone in this direction. But the odd thing about such projects they
> have a history of catering to mostly Windows users and absorb some of

Quote from Chris:
"I find it a little disturbing that the Tor Project's interest in hardware
> has gone in this direction. But the odd thing about such projects they
> have a history of catering to mostly Windows users and absorb some of
> the blindness that platform engenders."

You might want to consider where the majority of the funding for many of the
most popular privacy and anonymity software comes from........US Gov.  This
includes Tor.  The same gov that allows NSA surveillance of its own citizens
and breaking encryption and security schemes within its own countries.  Yet we
are then suppose to trust its other division NIST that gives us recommendations
for infosec.  The same NIST that had culpability in the RSA fiasco.

Sorry but IMHO you can not stick your hand into a pile of doo and then claim
none of the stink has stuck to you.  When one of, if not your largest granter
is a US Gov agency, what well reasoned person in this day and age, knowing what
we know from all the spilled intel doc, would not expect them to have influence
of some level over that project it funds???  This is basically the line all of
these nonprofit software projects are trying to sell us on.  First be the
opposite of transparent and never under your own volition admin you were taking
US Gov fund.  Then once found out via FOIA requests claim taking millions from
what you publicly claim is one of you major adversaries has in no way effected
or compromised that supposed goal?!?  Who here would belevie that if say a
politician claimed a company that sunk millions to get them elected would not
have undo influence of the actions of said official?  Seriously!?!?!  There is
no difference.  Same same

It happens all the time in scientific research.  Its one of the primary reasons
the first thing seasoned research reviewers do is go right to the funding page
to see who funded the research so they can access the possible type and level
of bias and influence that has been introduced.

A Brief History of the Broadcasting Board of Governors :
https://pando.com/2015/03/01/internet-privacy-funded-by-spooks-a-brief-history-of-the-bbg/

Article linking the same about TOR with supportive links:
https://pando.com/2014/12/26/if-you-still-trust-tor-to-keep-you-safe-youre-out-of-your-damn-mind/

Yrs ago I started only using tor with VPNs as both and inner and outer layer +
some other opsec protocols as from what I could see Tor itself could not be
trusted to keep your ID secure.   I have some hope for GNUnet to keep maturing
to the point where it becomes a replacement or at least Tor can run inside it.
Jury is still out though.

BTW does anyone finding it interesting that every app Snowden recommended using
in his multiple interveiws are all funded by OTF (Open Technology Fund)which is
a fund of Free Asia Radio which is subsidiary of BBG (Broadcasting Board of
Governors) which is a USA quais agency that gets annual Congressional Budget
funding of 3/4 of a billion.  All of this coming as a spin off of the CIA Cold
war pysops American propaganda campaign i.e freedom radio Free Asia, Free
Europe, Free etc...  So all those companies from Whisper, TOR, Signal, etc

According to FOIA releases from what I have read in articles Tor has received
around $5 million over the last 9-10 yrs from BBG and its subsidiary FAR/ OTF.
It makes you wonder what 5 million dollars buys you in a nonprofit anonymity
and privacy software project does it not?

IMO US gov wants everyone to be able to have privacy and anonymity from
everyone EXCEPT itself and maybe, just maybe, its closest allies/  So sure it
wants these software apps and projects to be good but it also wants to know it
has control and can see in.  Loss of control= freedom and no government today
will every knowingly allow that.

I was taught to always follow the money to know what you are really dealing
with.