Hello!

I am trying to set up a proxy vm that will redirect DNS requests to a local DNS
server, for the purposes of adblocking.

Here is the setup:

internet <-> sys-net <-> sys-firewall <-> MY_PROXYVM <-> appvm_with_firefox

I have created a proxyvm based on a debian-8 template, and have installed
PiHole (https://pi-hole.net/) as an adblocker. PiHole works by starting a DNS
server (dnsmasq) and rejecting any dns queries to domains that serve ads.

If (in the proxyvm) I set the contents of /etc/resolv.conf to 127.0.0.1 and
open firefox (in the proxyvm), I can verify that the adblocker is working
correctly.

The issue I am having is when I used the proxyvm as the netvm for another
appvm. Without any other changes, my appvm's firefox has internet access, but
the adblocker has no effect. Of course, some additional setup is needed, but
I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

I'm not very good with iptables, and every attempt I have made to redirect DNS
to 127.0.0.1 in the proxyvm has failed (and caused both the proxyvm and the
appvm to lose the ability to browse). Here are the commands I ran (in the
proxyvm):

#!/bin/bash
DNS=127.0.0.1
NS1=10.137.4.1
NS2=10.137.4.254
iptables -t nat -A PR-QBS -d $NS1 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $DNS
iptables -t nat -A PR-QBS -d $NS1 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $DNS
iptables -t nat -A PR-QBS -d $NS2 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $DNS
iptables -t nat -A PR-QBS -d $NS2 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $DNS

---

I pieced this together from what I could find from the VPN documentation on the
qubes website as well as the contents of /usr/lib/qubes/qubes-setup-dnat-to-ns

Running the qubes-setup-dnat-to-dns script by itself after changing
/etc/resolv.conf (all this on the proxyvm) didn't seem to have any impact.

So! My question is, am I going about this correctly? I think I need to modify
the iptables in the proxyvm to redirect any incoming (from the appvm) DNS
queries to 127.0.0.1, while still allowing outgoing (to the internet, from the
proxyvm) DNS queries to get out. Along with this, I think I need to ensure that
there are rules that allow all other traffic to pass through unhindered.

Or is there a different, qubes-specific way of handling DNS that I should be
using? After inspecting the sys-firewall ipconfig and iptables, it is clear
that something behind-the-scenes is happening where an additional NIC is
created for each attached appvm, and the iptables are being populated
automatically somehow. I'm not sure how the proxyvm is supposed to get the
addresses of the appvm and sys-firewall (my script above had addresses
hardcoded).

Thank you for any help! If I get all this working, I'm planning on making a
Salt file that can create the adblocking proxyvm.