On 2017-02-09 03:33, Unman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 09:27:38AM +0100, wile.e.coy...@keemail.me wrote:
>>
>> Hello qubes-team,
>>
>> I'm actually facing a problem with a guide of yours. I've used the Privacy
>> Guide "Tor Onion Repos" entering the following two commands:
>>
>> sudo sed -i 's/yum.qubes-os.org/yum.qubesos4rrrrz6n4.onion/'
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0.repo && cat /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0.repo
>>
>> sudo sed -i 's/yum.qubes-os.org/yum.qubesos4rrrrz6n4.onion/'
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-templates.repo && cat
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-templates.repo
>>
>> Now i cant resolve a connection to the update servers anymore, please tell
>> me the right commands to reset it.
>>
>> By the way, I could not enter the other two commands because the following
>> variables didnt exists on my new qubes r3.2 installation:
>>
>> $DebianTemplateVM
>> $FedoraTemplateVM
>>
>> Because I ran into all these problems, I would prefer to just set it back.
>> Please tell me how to.
>>
>> Thanks. =)
>
> It's important that you know what is happening here.
>
> sed is, as Bernhard tells you, a stream editor. It runs through a file
> making edits.
> The -i option allows you to change a file in place.
> s/foo/bar  will SUBSTITUTE (s) the phrase 'foo' with replacement 'bar'
>
> So that first command in dom0 went through the file
> /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0.repo and on every line where it found:
> yum.qubes-os.org
> changed it to:
> yum.qubesos4rrrrz6n4.onion
> and then saved the changed file.
>
> Instead of the sed command, the instructions could say:
> 1. Open the file /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0.repo in your favourite text
> editor.
> 2. Look for every occurrence of yum.qubes-os.org, and change it to
> yum.qubesos4rrrrz6n4.onion.
> 3. Save the changed file.
>
> If you really want to set it back you can either reverse the sed
> command, or make the changes manually in a text editor.
> That is:
> 1. Open the file /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-dom0.repo in your favourite text
> editor.
> 2. Look for every occurrence of yum.qubesos4rrrrz6n4.onion and change it to
> yum.qubes-os.org.
> 3. Save the changed file.
>
> Do the same for the other file.
> That's reversed the changes you made.
>

> The two variables that "dont exist" are just placeholders for the name
> of the template that you want to change.
> So instead of $DebianTemplateVM type in the name of the Debian template
> that you want to affect.
> The qvm-run command allows you to run programs on qubes from dom0 - in
> this case, using sed allows you to change those files quickly from dom0
> instead of opening the TemplateVM, firing up a text editor and making
> the changes in the TemplateVM.
>

> What's puzzling is that you find that you can't connect to the update
> [...]

Thank you, unman, for the characteristically clear and comprehensive
answer. That page was just meant to be a quick placeholder for people
who know what they're doing. We should be able to take it down or
rewrite it soon, once this is implemented:

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org