On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 01:27:30AM -0800, m...@lamarciana.com wrote:
> > try this:
> > qvm-run -a -p qube "echo $0"
>
> It returns `bash`
>
> > and:
> > qvm-run -a -p qube "ps aux"
>
> It includes a `/bin/bash /usr/bin/qubes-session`
>
> > You may be surprised.
>
> Also, `echo $SHELL` returns `/bin/bash`.
>
> I thought that maybe that `bash` process was in fact a subprocess of the
> actual `zsh` shell, but `ps aux|grep zsh` returns nothing.
>
> So, yes, I'm very surprised, and now I understand even less why `~/.zprofile`
> is sourced... :)

I'm probably wrong but I think what's happening is this:
Look up the process list and you'll see the invocation:
su -l user -c /usr/bin/xinit.......

That's su starting a shell as a login shell: as you have zsh as default
shell, .zprofile is read to set env variables, including path.

And I think you should have seen the output from qvm-run ps aux
included something like "sh -c ps aux".
That call to sh is coming from qrexec-fork-server, I think.

I hope that makes it a little clearer.
It would be interesting to see what happened if you were to relink sh
to zsh in the template. I'm looking at a number of issues arising using
some non default user shells(tcsh, fish)