Just asked the same question and then found this thread. %)Thanks for
answer. Could you be so kind to provide more details:

>> Since I created the net VM I'm unable to boot anymore. It hangs during the
>> sys-net startup. The error message I get after a few minutes is:
>> BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 22s! [libvirtd:1769]
>> Anyone knows how to debug or fix this? The VM worked fine when started after
>> the system was fully booted, it just fails if started during booting.
> There are a couple of open issues about this autostart issue.
> The simplest solution is to disable the auto start in
> /etc/systemd/system/qubes-netvm.service - you can edit the file or
> disable the service.
Netvm is autostarted by other qubes it is assigned to.

Is it possible to have something like "ask user" ?

Some times it's not good to have networking, but at the same time I'd
like to start other VMs that have this VM as net VM.

> If you do make sure that you aren't starting any
> other qubes that rely on sys-net. (That would include your clockVM.)
Could you point to a paper in dox that we should review to get a
deeper understanding of VM chains?

 I mean that some times I would like to override default start
procedure - how can I get this?

Is there any alternative to get into single mode and play with VM prefs?

Why the auto-start preference ingored by boot sequence - because OS
needs a clock VM?

--
Bye.Olli.
gpg --search-keys grey_olli , use key w/ fingerprint below: