On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Ted Brenner <grizt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 09:56:02PM -0600, Ted Brenner wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I'm trying to setup postfix following this guide
>> > <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/postfix/>. But I'm not able to get a few
>> > things to work.
>> >
>> > First, the commands I added to /rw/config/rc.local don't seem to run.
>> > Namely, it doesn't appear to be mounting the /usr/local/etc/postfix
>> > directory in /etc/postfix. Also postfix doesn't appear to be running on
>> > startup. How do we tell if that gets run correctly?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Ted
>> >

>> Other have pointed out that you need to set the executable bit on
>> rc.local.
>> You might want to cnsider instead the use of bind-dirs :
>> www.qubes-os.org/doc/bind-dirs which provides similar functionality.
>>

> Thanks all. Yes, this was the issue. Still can't get postfix to work but
> that now appears to be due to missing the aliases.db.
>
> Is there a reason rc.local isn't executable by default?
>
> --
> Sent from my Desktop

Quick follow up. What user is running rc.local? Is it root or user? I
assume it is user since I'm seeing a permission denied when the call to run
postfix tries to access the aliases.db file. So should I throw a sudo in
front of the command to start postfix in the rc.local file? Or should I
change the permissions on aliases.db? Per the instructions I'm also doing a
mount command but that succeeds. Which is odd since if I try it as user, it
fails saying only root can do it. Which is why I ask which user is running
rc.local.

--
Sent from my Desktop