On 04/18/2017 11:56 PM, Reg Tiangha wrote:
> It's a Kernel 4.9 issue with the latest Qubes updates. jessie-backports
> has a stock 4.9 kernel so I installed that, and I'm getting the *exact*
> same behaviour as with the coldkernel 4.9 version.
>
> I know it's *not* necessarily a 4.9 issue alone because I've been
> running a 4.9 coldkernel in my VMs since at least December. So something
> in the latest Qubes updates breaks compatibility with kernel 4.9. Not
> sure how to fix that, but I'll report it.

For anyone following the thread, this is just a follow up, but it turned
out *not* to be a 4.9 on PVGRUB problem, but the typical dkms not
compiling the u2mfn module on upgrade issue that sometimes happens. I
wrote a post mortem here:

But I wonder if that ErrorHandler: BadAccess message that appears in
guid.conf is indicative of this issue. I haven't kept an eye on it long
enough to be able to say either way, but it's definitely something to
keep in mind if that kind of error pops up in the future.

For me, the fix was to manually make dkms recompile the u2mfn module. In
Debian, run:

ls /var/lib/initramfs-tools | sudo xargs -n1
/usr/lib/dkms/dkms_autoinstaller start

and what that will do is force dkms to recompile all modules for any and
all locally installed kernels in the VM template. Then shutdown the
TemplateVM and then reboot your AppVMs and they should hopefully come
back up normally.