Dominique St-Pierre Boucher <dominiqu...@gmail.com> [2017-03-23 14:54
+0100]:
> I was able to build a jessie minimal template but not a stretch one.
> So I decided to clone it and upgrade the template. I ran into a lot of
> issues with that. The way I was able to finally do it was to enable
> the qubes-testing repo for stretch before the updgrade and doing the
> upgrade from the console (sudo xl console [vm_name]).

I also was not able to build a stretch-minimal template, only
jessie-minimal. (I did not try to build any of the regular templates.)

Notes:

When updating jessie-minimal to unstable, you have to select the Qubes
testing repository; the Qubes unstable repository does not exist.

When you update, be careful with apt-get dist-upgrade; it will remove
qubes-gui-agent, among others. I don't know if apt-get upgrade will
result in a full upgrade to debian unstable, but at least it will not
remove any of the essential qubes packages.

There are detailed instructions for building an Archlinux template:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/building-archlinux-template/ . Follow them,
replacing Arch with Debian.

Do the building in a fedora-23 template. I can personally confirm that
using a fedora-24-minimal or fedora-25-minimal template causes a lot of
problems. If I had done it like that from the beginning, I probably
could have followed Unman's instructions without problem. (Thanks, by
the way!)

--
ubestemt