I'm thinking an attacker could:

1 Take control of the VM through any given means, and gain the ability to
edit the .desktop file
2 Alter the desktop file so that it opens a malware URL in the VM dedicated
to web browsing
3 Send information from the Thunderbird VM to the less-trusted web browsing
VM via coding in the URL

The weakness is you're giving a persistent, user-editable file permission
to control another VM - and the Qubes messaging service doesn't tell you
exactly what action you are approving, and might even be set to "Yes to
All" allowing transparent control by malware.

If you DON'T set "Yes to All", then you are queried every time you open a
webpage, and if you don't read every approval carefully an attacker could
force a third, higher-trust VM to open a malware URL.

Your suggestion re: /usr/share/applications is good though, I think that
would mitigate some of the risk.