After some while of inactivity, I've made an experiment and successfully
created an HDMI “condom”. It is the most universal variant intended for
connecting a laptop to some HDMI male.

Ingredients: HDMI-male to DVI-female short cable + DVI-male to HDMI-female
adaptor, both are passive.

Price: Roughly $10 + shipping.

Measurements with ohmmeter: I picked HDMI schema from Wikipedia (and confused
male/female) and checked what pins are connected and what pins aren't. As
expected, CEC and HEAC+ pins are not connected. Surprisingly, also some (all?)
shields weren't connected. Maybe this is due to cheap nature on one or both
parts.

Validation with HDMI TV: With Qubes 3.2, video output works, while sound output
doesn't. With Fedora 25 (and hopefully also with Qubes 4), both audio and video
works. Audio output is something that should not theoretically work with pure
DVI, so I believe it actually uses HDMI.

What can be tested: I haven't has opportunity to test high-resolution output,
which is something that should not work with single-link DVI. It should
theoretically work with my HDMI “condom”, but I can offer nothing but theory
there at the moment.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'