People may not have noticed, but there is now a 4.9 kernel in
current-testing (4.9.28 to be specific).

If the release schedule holds, then that should be migrated to stable
soon, however, before that happens, some feedback on that kernel would
be useful before it gets pushed to the majority of users.

Specifically, it'd be nice to know if:

1) Hardware that used to work with 4.4 or 4.8 no longer works with 4.9.

2) Hardware that didn't work with 4.4 or 4.8 still doesn't work.

3) If newer Intel platforms (i.e. Haswell or newer) works with this
kernel (I took out the Intel ME driver and the newest machine I have
access to is a Sandy Bridge machine; I have no issues, but I wonder if
Haswell or newer is tied more strongly to the Intel ME such that it
actually needs that driver in order t work properly). If there are Intel
hardware issues with this kernel, then I'll re-enable the driver in my
next Pull Request.

4) General feedback on the 4.9 kernel.

4.9.29 was just released today, so before I send in a Pull Request, let
me know how 4.9.28 performs and if changes to the kernel config may need
to be made.