On 2017-05-20 21:59, Todd Lasman wrote:

> On 05/20/2017 06:12 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
>> On 2017-05-20 19:43, Todd Lasman wrote:
>>> The dogma, as I understand it, is that it's safer to clone a
>>> template, make changes to the clone, then base your AppVM's
>>> off of that cloned template.
>
>>> - From the Qubes website: "It is highly recommended to clone
>>> the original template, and make any changes in the clone
>>> instead of the original template. The following command clones
>>> the template. Replace your-new-clone with your desired
>>> name..."
>
>>> My question is, why? It seems to me that if you ever needed
>>> the original template back, you could just download it again
>>> from the repository. Am I missing something?
>
>>> Todd
>

>> The main reasons are that user customizations are not guaranteed
>> to be preserved in RPM-managed templates, and they're harder to
>> back up and restore.
>

> Hmm. Not sure I understand that logic. The cloned templates still
> need to be managed and backed up, so where's the advantage?

Being RPM-managed is different from being "managed" in a general
sense. Cloned templates need to be managed in a general sense, but
they do not need to be (and are not) RPM-managed. This is an advantage
if they're extensively customized by the user, since any changes
pushed to RPM-managed templates won't break the user customizations.

Cloned templates are easier to back up and restore than RPM-managed
templates. Trying to restore an RPM-managed on a Qubes machine with an
existing RPM-managed template of the same kind can be very difficult.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org