On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 1:02:52 AM UTC-5, David Seaward wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Previously I've used type II VMs like VirtualBox for application
> testing: install application on the base OS, test features (including
> GUI features, shell integration and system integration), discard
> changes. Additional steps might include: pause/resume the VM, save
> different states of the VM.
>
> Are Qubes OS VMs suitable for the same purpose? Specifically, is it
> possible to switch from a dom0 view to a VM-only view, rather than VM
> windows appearing in dom0?
>
> Regards,
> David
>
> P.S. If this is possible, Qubes OS also seems like a more flexible
> alternative to dual-booting?

Great question, David. I would say if testing could be done in Xen, then it
could likely be done in Qubes. It's really difficult to mess with dom0 or how
it looks, so I doubt you will have luck switching views. What guest OS will you
mainly use for testing?  One option may be, if you're accustomed to Virtualbox
for Windows for example, setting up a Windows VM how you like it for testing
and loading a guests in there. I can't comment on the performance of Virtualbox
inside of a VM though. Has anyone else done this?