On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:40 AM,  <loleni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello! I'm a beginner and maybe ask a stupid question. I know that Qubes OS
> itself does not support 3D graphics. But can I play games (Steam) if I
> connect to Qubes Whonix as a virtual machine? It's a Linux distribution and
> it itself supports Steam. Here it is about Qubes + Whonix:
> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes.
> Thank you!

Steam itself works no problem (I've used it in a StandaloneVM). Games
are hit and miss.

Software rendering performance seemed high enough for most 2d games
and even some old / non-demanding 3d games (ancient Unreal games were
"playable"). Really can't say I've spent a lot of time playing them
though, it was more an afternoon project of "Hmm... I wonder if this
works..." than anything else. I'm not a gamer, and my tolerance for
poor gaming performance is quite likely higher than most.

Input grabbing is indeed an issue though as Vit points out.

I should mention this was all on linux, with Windows-only things run
in Wine. I never personally tried on windows HVMs, but they seem
somewhat sluggish even for basic non-game tasks so I'd imagine it
wouldn't be great unless you passed through a dedicated GPU and USB
controller with separate input devices or something.

Cheers,
Jean-Philippe