On 05/30/2017 05:34 PM, cooloutac wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 11:24:43 AM UTC-4, Ahmed Al Aqtash wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 May 2017, 17:11 cooloutac, <raah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 6:26:10 AM UTC-4, Ahmed Al Aqtash wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>

>>> I got a ThinkPad X270 that I am trying to install Qubes 3.2 on, but the
>>> installer consistently refuses to load the GUI.
>>

>>> It loads up anaconda text mode, and I can't seem to finish the installation
>>> through this interface, since it keeps marking some elements as faulty.
>>

>>> My BIOS setup:
>>
>>> Virtualisation enabled (tried enabling and disabling VT-d)
>>
>>> Secure Boot disabled, and only booting in legacy (I get a completely
>>> different problem when trying to boot with EFI, and it doesn't really
>>> matter much to me, as long as I can install)
>>
>>> I have tried increasing the initial reserved RAM for the display to 512 MB
>>> (I recall finding a thread before stating that this weird setting would fix
>>> the installer loading the GUI)
>>

>>> I created the USB with DD on ubuntu.
>>

>>> The X.log in /tmp/X.log states that no screen could be found, but I think I
>>> have the same issue as here
>>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-devel/XN6JrEXVOVA but I have
>>> no clue as to how to fix it :S
>>

>>> Many thanks for your help in advance!
>>

>>> Hoping to hear from anyone

>>> --
>>
>>> Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
>>
>>> Ahmed Al Aqtash

>> What do you mean keeps marking elements as faulty?
>>

>> Thank you so much for your time, appreciate it!
>>

>> For instance when selecting software sources, it keeps saying that the drive
>> through which data should be installed (ie the USB) has changed, and that I
>> should look at it. But I set the source before selecting the software I
>> want, so I know it hasn't changed. Even if I go back and make sure it is
>> correct, it doesn't mark the step with software selection as correctly
>> configured.
>>

>> So it seems like I won't be able to finish the installer in this mode.
>>

>> Regards!
>>
>> --
>>

>> Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
>> Ahmed Al Aqtash
>>> ^_^>
>
>   What are exact error messages you are getting at what point during the
> installation? I don't know what you mean by setting the source and selecting
> software you want, or selecting software sources?
>
> The person in the thread you linked could not use text mode because his
> installation was totally aborting.  This sounds diff from your issue but I
> may be misunderstanding.

Sorry for the delay.
Just to be clear, I went ahead and installed another system, and just
accepted the fact that I might have to wait for Qubes 4.0 before jumping
in again.

I tried running the installer again (created the disk from scratch, this
time I torrented it, and used DD again from my new system).

It allows me to fill out all steps, until I reach 'Install destination'.
When I select the only disk in the machine, it says something about not
being able to install to that disk, or some such, and I can't finish the
process.

Just out of curiousity, if I do install Qubes from the text installer,
what happens when I actually boot up then? Will I even have a GUI, or
will I be plunged into a TTY?

Anyways, thank you very much for your time.

I am not in that much of a hurry. Just wanted to hear if there were any
immediate solutions.