The only right question is: it depends.

Running many VMs does not imply you can utilize many cores. Scenarios like
running sys-net, sys-firewall, sys-usb, a MusicVM, a WiresharkVM, an EmailVM
and a WebBrowserVM is running many VMs at once, but maybe none of them will
consume significant amount of CPU. Such situations are OK on my dualcore
i7-7500U. Some VMs will be rather idle most of the time, some may consume
rather I/O than CPU etc.

When considering many busy VMs running at once, it sounds rather like some
server deployment than personal computer. But I admit there might be some such
cases. Maybe you need to run multiple
compilation/rendering/computation/whatever tasks simultaneously or you have
some tasks that can utilize multiple cores at once. If that's your case, then
many cores is probably a good choice.

Anyway, Qubes does not differ a much from other OSes in terms of CPU
utilization. You are likely to have more VMs, but each of the VMs will likely
use fewer resources. I see two differences in CPU utilization between QubesOS
and traditional OSes like Ubuntu:

* Some virtualization-related overhead and some (usually not much
CPU-intensive) processes run in multiple instances. I see this as rather minor
overhead. And if this is your concern, you might be still more concerned about
per-core performance than number of cores.
* GPU emulation overhead. In Qubes, no VM except dom0 has access to the GPU, so
some tasks are done on the CPU instead of GPU. In 3D games, this can cause high
CPU load. Moreover, such load can utilize multiple CPU cores (up to 8).[1]
OpenSWR can utilize even more cores, but my experiments with OpenSWR[2] weren't
encouraging as a general-purpose replacement of LLVMpipe. I haven't tested how
well llvmpipe scales over CPU cores, but in theory, it should be able to scale
rather well, as it replaces GPU, which is essentially a CPU with massive (SMT)
parallelization.

Regards,
Vít Šesták

[1] https://www.mesa3d.org/llvmpipe.html