On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 9:34 AM, Alex <alex....@gmx.com> wrote:
> On 06/13/2017 10:00 PM, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
>> Has anyone sent the Qubes certified laptop to Russia?
>> Are there any delivery or customs issues that Russian citizen should
>> be aware of?
>>
>> How do I check that US vendor hasn't passed implant into device?
> It's long been a bad idea in general buying computers that are meant to
> have any appreciable level of security and have them shipped by mail
> delivery...
I've spent some time to defend idea that I'll get qubes certified
laptop paid by my organisation.
Are there any ideas for anonymouse delivery? I am okay to pay for that.

> And you are planning to buy something from the United States of America
> (known for the very problem you are asking about),
No idea how to get that laptop in any other relatively secure way.
It is shipped worldwide but

> have it delivered to
> the Russian Federation (not a very believable defender of citizen
> privacy),
Yep. This is my second motherland since USSR has been killed by gorby & company.

> and believe it will arrive safe and secure?
The vendor should provide some security check algorithm I guess..
I beleave in Qubes. I beleave Qubes team.
Could anyone from Qubes team buy such a certified laptop for me and
make delilvery using my money?
The company I currently work with is okay with any delivery method I choose.

The url with paper for qubes certified laptop delivery:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/12/qubes-os-will-ship-pre-installed-on-purisms-security-focused-librem-13-laptop/
How can I check for "hardware implant free" state of delivered laptop?
I'd reinstall Qubes so software implants are out of this discussion.

> Mmmm... I would not try that :/
Does anyone know any tor covered anonymous delivery service?
The question with tor initiated anonymous delivery is reputation.
Laptop costs about 2k$.

> And I'm sorry, but apart from suspicion I can't really give you any
> actual advice :( best of luck for your next laptop
I know that there's no laptop store that sells that laptops in Russia.
I also know that Qubes QA team should not be bothered by bugreports
from non-certified hardware .

So better I should buy a laptop from compatible but not certified list?

It looks like buying Qubes certified laptop via any well known to me
american citizen could be better idea.

But laptop would be delivered cross-customs anyway..

Is there a US law restriction for delivery of librem13 or librem 15 to
Russia ? I guess not or not yet. At least their buying form has
Russian Federation in destination country list )

https://www.crowdsupply.com/purism/librem-15
https://www.crowdsupply.com/purism/librem-13

As I guess librem-15 is the same, but not yet certified? The Qubes
ceritified list has only librem-13 .
Also "Aside from compatibility, we do not believe that it should be
considered any safer than other laptops." is inside the notice on
qubes web https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hardware/#qubes-certified-laptops
.

I'm okay to order delivery of parts and pay someone to build librem-15
from delivered parts or just do that myself.

Anyway where should I reed vendor instruction on "how to check the
delivered laptop for hardware implants"?

BTW: I love their claims: https://www.crowdsupply.com/about#user-rights

I don't think that my person is that important to merit goverment
backdoor from US or Russian Federation.
Though since that is just possible I should have exact rules how to
check hardware after delivery.

--
Bye.Olli.
gpg --search-keys grey_olli , use key w/ fingerprint below: