On 06/27/2017 10:20 PM, cooloutac wrote:

its common sense to me man. Server boards are designed for servers.  I gave
some tips on how to get something compatible which I think is priority.
Another one is to research the board on linux forums and see if its used alot
or not or if it has problems.
"Designed for servers" The IC's are identical to their desktop counterparts, just with different features burned in.

I want you to explain to me what makes a desktop board and CPU different from a "server" board and CPU, real technical differences not marketing.

  Its like wanting to use centos as a gaming os.  is it possible?  probably,
anything is possible,  but is it practical?
CentOS and fedora are literally the same thing, what do you think makes them different?
But Jean brings up good points whats "best" is subjective.

  But I have to say talking someone out of buying Purism that supports Qubes
and free hardware like you want, calling it overpriced, and then recommending
expensive as hell server boards and 100 dollar keyboards as a little strange.
I mean you balked first.

For the last time, purism is NOT free hardware.
Whats free about it? Why don't you explain that to me.

I paid $500 total for my setup including the $300 motherboard and I have actual free firmware, $80 more gets me a great keyboard that lasts 30 years - compared to that a 2K quanta rebrand is simply overpriced.