On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 09:22:23AM -0400, Steve Coleman wrote:
> On 07/29/2017 08:59 AM, Connor Page wrote:
> > qvm-create-default-dvm fedora-25
> >
> > Try that to check if it fails. If not then starting dvms won't be a problem
> > anymore. If it does then there's something wrong with your template.
> > I use a heavily customized F25 template for dvms and it never fails, but I
> > always run qvm-create-default-dvm after any changes to its private image.
>
> I have run this command many times, to recreate the dvm, so running it again
> simply does not help.
>
> The dvm works fine as long as Qubes does not try to process the
> "customization" of the DVM prior to launching it. I have no way presently to
> see what portion of the customization process that gets hung.
>
> What I need is to find out how to run that customization code (script?)
> under trace or debugger control so I can identify the actual problem. The
> question is where is this customization script, dom0 or in the template? The
> only script I have found so far (still looking) is dom0 "startup-dvm.sh",
> but all it does is create symbolic links and set permissions for the
> savefile. It never even tests for the existence of
> ".qubes-dispvm-customized".

When this has come up in the past on the list the answer has been to
delete the saved dvm file and to recreate it, add customization, and
then run qvm-create-default-template again.

If you want to check the script operations, look at
/usr/lib/qubes/init/mount-dirs.sh and
/usr/lib/qubes/init/setup-dvm-home.sh

They are simple scripts, so it shouldnt take much debugging.

unman