On 08/29/2017 04:50 PM, cyberian@national.shitposting.agency wrote:
> Leo Gaspard,
>
> I have read about AEM but have never used it, it seems like it is
> geared towards protecting from USB's with malicious firmware on
> them.
>
> Does AEM actually verify the integrity of /boot before using?  This
> is what I am looking for, either a method of encrypting /boot or
> even better, a secure method to verify its integrity during boot

AEM does verify the integrity of /boot using the TPM seal/unseal
operation. If any of the boot components change, AEM falls back to
regular, unmeasured boot -- the user is expected to notice this and
cease using the potentially-compromised system (the lack of explicit
indication of failed AEM boot is deliberate, see the last FAQ item at
[1]).

The security provided by AEM is much more stronger than encrypted
/boot could ever offer, because as already pointed out, there is
always a little first-stage bootloader stub on the disk unencrypted
and it would be easy to overwrite it with a malicious version that
would intercept the encryption passphrase and exfiltrate it using eg.
unused disk sectors.

If someone did the above with AEM, the TPM would refuse to useal the
AEM secret as the platform state would be different.

The feature protecting dom0 from malicious USB devices [2] serves a
different purpose and is not related to AEM. Plus, you always need to
disconnect all untrusted USB devices while rebooting Qubes, regardless
of whether you have USB qube set up or not.

Cheers,
Patrik

[1] https://blog.invisiblethings.org/2011/09/07/anti-evil-maid.html
[2] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/