Thanks so much for all the info on XFCE!  I did some digging and it does look
quite configurable.  I wonder how much RAM / processor it uses?  Also, do you
not encounter the icon issue in XFCE?  I've found that it isn't just Ubuntu
that's having that problem on my system.

After running the code to transfer icons to dom0 you suggested, it certainly
looks like my OS's have access to the icons.  Problem is they aren't using them
where needed most.  I'm going to open a new thread explaining my new
understanding of the problem, which may be due to some kind of corruption.