On 09/11/2017 05:45 AM, Gaijin wrote:

My company forces me to only buy Dell hardware. They're OK with me
running Qubes on my next workstation, but I'm a bit unsure about what
hardware options to choose, and would appreciate any advice.
That's pretty lame you can't build your own and get a real mans computer - one that is owner controlled (ex: talos2, kcma-d8/kgpe-d16)
Being uncertain of the Qubes 4.x requirements more than a year ago I put
in a request for a Dell Precision T5810 workstation with:
CPU: Xeon E5-2630 v4 (10 cores)
RAM: 64GB 2400MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC RAM
Graphics: AMD FirePro W7100

However, looking at the 4.x requirements page and some forum threads, it
doesn't sound like AMD graphics cards are very Qubes-friendly. My only
other option at this product level is an nVidia Quadro (or AMD Radeon).
Nonsense, as with any linux video driver issue it depends on how new the hardware is. The professional series card means you can contact AMD for skilled tech support, I would also get Dell's ProSupport so that you can get an american on the phone.

Nvidia is unfriendly to open source and virtualization (on their consumer devices) even more than AMD these days so I wouldn't, I for one dislike recompiling the kernel every time I update an nvidia computer running linux.
I'd like to know if this looks like a good setup to proceed with, or if
I should consider something else (within the Dell lineup/options).

If I wanted to get a Xeon chip with the built-in Intel Graphics built in
I could look at the Precision 3000 series where they offer machines with
a Xeon E3-1275 with only 4 cores, and a maximum of 64GB RAM. Only
problem there is that I run a lot of simultaneous Qubes, including
Windows, so I was concerned that I couldn't expand the RAM on this
machine in the future if necessary. I'll be stuck with this machine
quite a while, so I wanted to make the most of this purchase.
64gb is fine, if you want to save your (their?) money.