On Monday, 18 September 2017 23:32:53 UTC-4, cooloutac  wrote:

> > > came to the same conclusion - probably not worth the security
> > > tradeoff... Perhaps one can implement a 2FA solution for FDE using
> > > something like paperkey? It would still be the 'someone peeks over my
> > > shoulder in a cafe' kind of scenario, but without the USB compromise
> >
> > It is not just 'unavoidable surveillance'.
> > Qubes doesn't just run on Laptops.  Think about Desktops.  They require USB
> > Keyboards since most modern desktop systems don't have PS/2. And since they
> > require USB Keyboards to enter the LUKS Passphrase, that means the
> > "rd.qubes.hide_all_usb" option in the bootloader will render the whole
> > system inaccessible.  So USB security at boot time is not an option,
> > therefore, not a tradeoff with 2FA.
> >
> > It isn't for the "lazy" people either.  2FA means that I don't have to
> > weaken my passphrase so its memorable.  And if snooped by some Evil Maid
> > attack methods, they'll need to pull the token from my cold dead hands too.
> >
> > I am hoping someone will finish this idea and make it available, especially
> > for desktop users with yubikey.
> > Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge on initramfs or dracut to
> > produce something usable myself.  I have searched all over, and only find
> > the same abandoned ideas, or directions to using Yubikey for something
> > other than LUKS, or on a Debian based system.
> >
> > Please help.
> > Thank you.
>
> almost all motherboards still come with ps/2.  only budget gaming ones don't.
>  but even most gaming ones do.

Fair point.  I was thinking more in my price range.  Dell XPS 8900.

My solution so far is to use YKLUKS from here:  https://github.com/the2nd/ykluks

It does include a grub2 "rd.ykluks.hide_all_usb" feature to only temporarily
turn on USBs during the
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/hB0XaquzBAg/aPQmmLBwBgAJ
"Besides the yubikey/luks stuff the module handles the rd.qubes.hide_all_usb
stuff via its own rd.ykluks.hide_all_usb command line parameter because the
yubikey is connected via USB and needs to be accessable until we got the
challenge from it. i am still unsure if this is the best method to implement
this. So if anyone with a deeper knowledge of qubes/dracut does have a
better/more secure solution i happy about any help."

It works.  I think its the best I can do since I am more concerned with 2FA
than bad USB devices.