I don't know if dom0 actually warned you after having successfully removed the
packages or it didn't let you do that because of the matter it warned you about.

Anyway, I think the problem is you set up the dom0 updates to be done through
Whonix, so you can try to change the UpdateVM field in the Qubes Global
Settings (I can't recall now if R3.2 has the same name), choosing for example
'sys-firewall' and then remove the Whonix Templates.