On 09/27/2017 11:35 AM, Yethal wrote:
W dniu środa, 27 września 2017 14:08:56 UTC+2 użytkownik Patrick Schleizer
napisał:
cooloutac:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 12:23:39 PM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 12:23:23 PM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 9:25:24 AM UTC-4, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
Quote from https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/

Caution: By assigning a USB controller to a USB qube, it will no
longer be available to dom0. This can make your system unusable if, for
example, you have only one USB controller, and you are running Qubes off
of a USB drive.

How can one recover from such a situation if there is no PS2
keyboard/mice available?

I guess... Unless there is a better way...? Boot the system using from
an external disk using a USB recovery operating system... Then modify
the local disk (with broken Qubes)... Then do what?

Cheers,
Patrick
ya that. exactly.
that would be the only way I would know of.
sorry i misunderstood.  you could use the qubes keyboard proxy.  or unhide it
from dom0.  think they are both explained in the docs there, but don't think
either are recommended but if you have no choice.

The Qubes documentation explains how to hide/unhide it with the gui. But
when the disk is not booted (for recovery booted from USB), the gui
cannot be used since it refers to the USB booted and not internal disk
supposed to be recovered.

To undo it some file on the internal disk needs to be modified. Which
files needs what modification?
Remove rd.qubeshideallusb parameter from grub and then rebuild grub

Incidentally, I believe that messing up the sys-usb setup, losing keyboard & mouse, and recovering from it is how I eventually made my system unbootable. That plus intervening updates and other tweaks.

So not sure I have much to add on how to do it properly. But maybe serves as a cautionary tale.

I used an old ps/2 keyboard to get control of the system again (no mouse), and get the USB controller I had my main keyboard and my mouse on assigned back to dom0 again (thankfully I have several controllers on this motherboard, with keyboard, mouse and nothing else on one of them).

I got it working, but I think I messed up something on sys-usb. From time to time after that I would get a kernel panic starting sys-usb during boot. Then after a recent dom0 update, I got a "non-system disk or disk error" BIOS error and that was it. Couldn't get it properly recovered.

So I booted from a Ubuntu live USB, mounted the Qubes partitions, copied everything off to a backup USB hard drive, then did a clean reinstall of Qubes. After the reinstall, I've been more careful in setting up sys-usb, and it's working fine so far.

Ron