On 10/24/2017 02:43 PM, Johannes Graumann wrote:
On Tue, 2017-10-24 at 05:36 -0700, Roy Bernat wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 October 2017 04:21:48 UTC-4, Marek Marczykowski-
Górecki  wrote:

Hi

is it possible to update from rc1 to rc2 ?
i tried to install whonix with no success.

ideas ?

Roy

Follow the link and thou shall find "As a consequence of the partition
layout change, it will be necessary for current 4.0-rc1 testers to
perform a clean reinstall of 4.0-rc2 rather than attempting to upgrade
in-place. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience."

Frankly I considered that a rather bad joke, but probably there wasn't enough time to provide a tested upgrade path & the number of rc1 users is likely to be too low to make it relevant.

If you have a closer look at the bug apparently preventing an upgrade path [1], you'll notice that just the partition layout of all template VMs was changed to have the root fs at the end instead of the beginning.

So I guess it should be relatively straightforward to upgrade with one of the following ideas:

(Warning: I didn't test any of that and it might be entirely wrong:)

1. Re-install your template VM, if you're only using a standard one. Unfortunately the easy way doesn't work anymore [2], but qubes-dom0-update should still download the rpm to dom0, so that you can just use dnf to reinstall it. You'll of course lose all template modifications.

2. Upgrade your templates to rc2 (make sure to keep some AppVMs running in case you need them), then do an offline re-partitioning of your template VMs (a 5-10 line script with losetup, fdisk & dd should suffice) either in dom0 or in a running AppVM, if you don't want your template VMs' file systems to be read inside dom0.
Then upgrade dom0 & restart.

Make sure you have a backup before testing any of these though... I'm also not 100% sure how to convince qubes-dom0-update to use the rc2 repos in rc1.

KR
David

[1] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3173
[2] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3169