On my acer netbook with the Atheros wifi I redid some testing. Under 4.4 the
wifi worked but under 4.9 the wifi was also hard off listed under rfkill

Luckily, for this device I found
https://askubuntu.com/questions/98702/how-to-unblock-something-listed-in-rfkill

Which said that the kernel module for acer wmi (acer-wmi) was the problem, I'm
not exactly sure how or why? maybe helpfully trying to handle acer keyboard
functions but actually tragically eating the wifi function presses?
Regardless, I put it in /etc/modules.d/blacklist.conf, rebooted, and volia,
wifi.
So that module seems bad.

And I still haven't figured out what is up with the intel wifi laptop. But
ooph, the 4.9 kernel seems to hate wifi :(