Hi,

I have a MacBookPro 12,1 (early 2015) and I'm trying to make it work
with QubesOS 4.0-rc2. This machine has the internal keyboard and
trackpad connected through USB and I've had problems in general
GNU/Linux distros (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora) with USB 3.0 xhci_hcd
controller where it would not recognize the internal keyboard and I
could not type my LUKS passphrase.

First I tried to install QubesOS 4.0-rc2 on a USB stick from the MacBook
itself. Apparently the Fedora installer Anaconda recognizes the Apple
hardware and prepares the USB stick with some kind of HFS partition. I
couldn't boot from the generated USB stick, even with rEFInd installed
on the MacBook.

What worked was that I installed QubesOS 4.0-rc2 on a USB stick on
another computer (running UEFI+Windows) and then I was able to boot that
stick on my MacBook from rEFInd.

On the first boot, Anaconda asks to set up the VMs. The USB VM option is
not enabled because of the internal USB keyboard. If I choose to set up
the sys-net VM, the computer would freeze at the step "Setting up
networking", on this line
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-installer-qubes-os/blob/master/qubes-anaconda-addon/org_qubes_os_initial_setup/gui/spokes/qubes_os.py#L557
What I did: I just manually edited this file to avoid starting up
sys-firewall and sys-net and I was able to boot.

I also made sure I disabled the systemd services that start sys-net,
sys-firewall and sys-whonix on start-up. Now I can boot Qubes on the
MacBook with no VMs started. The next challenge is that I actually want
to use internet on this machine. I tried 2 different approaches.

1) Try to make the internal PCI Broadcom BCM43602 work.

Whenever sys-net is started with this device attached, the computer
would freeze. Also if the device is attached to a running sys-net VM,
the computer would freeze. I tried the troubleshooting instructions from
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/macbook-troubleshooting/
but they didn't solve the problem. I enabled PCI passthrough by putting
the device into permissive mode. I checked 'dmesg' output and it
confirmed that permissive mode was enabled for the device. But the
system would still freeze whenever sys-net is run with the device
attached.

2) Try to use some USB Wi-Fi

I have one GNU/Linux-friendly USB Wi-Fi dongle
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usb

I also have my Android (LineageOS) phone with USB tethering.

I tried both those devices to use as USB Wi-Fi adapters.

When I run the sys-net VM (without BCM43602 attached) and I use qvm-usb
to attach the device to sys-net, I receive an error message about
different speed. Is that refering to USB speed of USB 1.1 / USB 2.0 /
USB 3.0? On this MacBook, both USB ports are capable of USB 3.0. There
is only one USB PCI device, but there are 2 buses: one bus for USB 2.0
devices and one bus for USB 3.0 devices. The Wi-Fi adapters and the
internal keyboard/trackpad all fall in USB 2.0 bus.

I was able to attach a USB mass storage device to the VMs and use it
inside the VMs, but no luck with the USB Wi-Fi.

Is it even possible to use a USB Wi-Fi adapter with Qubes without having
a dedicated USB VM?
How can it be done?

Maybe the only solution to get Wi-Fi on this machine is to use the USB
Wi-Fi adapter directly in dom0. I know it's bad for security, but are
there instructions on how to make this work?

Any other thoughts?

Thank you,
ed25519.