On 11/04/2017 09:12 PM, 'Marek Jenkins' via qubes-users wrote:
What is the difference between Coreboot and Libreboot ?
Philosophy, that's it.

Coreboot is sterile and corporate (as evidenced by not only the quiet
acceptance of boards with closed source init but the removal of older
open source boards from the tree, most people in the project and on the
list work for intel/google/etc so any questioning of this is always shot
down)
Thanks for that info. From what I found, Librecore also seems to a fork of
Coreboot, they only remove all the blobs. But my main concern are Intel
AMT/ME/vPro - so in other words any remote access / backdoor, so I guess I
could live with Coreboot.
As I said there isn't any difference if you compile coreboot for a board supported by libreboot.
I am going for the KGPE-D16 and it seems they really have put in a lot of
effort to support it. Also Raptor Engineering seems to do a lot to make
KGPE-D16 and coreboot work.

I planned to go for a 62xx or 63xx CPU, but probably for a 62xx, because I read the 63xx
series has a lot of issues with coreboot/libreboot and needs firmware /
"microcode" updates to work properly - like you mentioned as well.
63xx/43xx is fine as long as you include a microcode update, you need to use coreboot for those but it will do it automatically by default.
Do you know if not only the KCMA-D8 but also the KGPE-D16 is also fully
supported ? Should be, right ?
Sure is, they're pretty much the same thing.
Thanks for your help!

I just told Holger I probably would postpone the installation of Coreboot,
because I have issues with compiling the ROM.
As long as you have the prerequisites installed it should work with the default config.
I know that I won't have problems with flashing the BIOS chip myself - my main problem is
getting the settings right in the Coreboot config console (i am using "$ make
nconfig" to compile).

But I am overwhelmed by all the settings. E.g. which payload (Seabios,
GRUB2,etc) to use and which other settings for the KGPE-D16 ?
SeaBIOS for beginners, other then that you don't need to mess with anything the default settings are fine.
So if that would be solved, I might definitely consider to use Coreboot in the
near future.