On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 03:52:57PM -0800, Shashank wrote:
> On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 4:57:33 PM UTC-5, Reg Tiangha wrote:
> > On 12/04/2017 02:39 PM, Shashank wrote:
> > > Thank you very much for the wonderful explanation of how it works. Would
> > > all the files in /boot be deleted Incase I did a factory install on my
> > > machine? i,e go back to factory settings. Or would I have to do the way
> > > you mentioned, by mounting /boot somehow, which I am a bit skeptical
> > > about how to do it.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > If by "factory install" you mean reinstalling Windows, then maybe? I'm
> > not sure.
> >
> > As for mounting /boot externally, you can do it with any Linux Live CD
> > (ex. Ubuntu). In fact, if you're lucky, some of the more modern ones
> > might even populate the file explorer with the various partitions on
> > your hard drive and you can use that instead to point and mount the
> > /boot partition.
> >
> > Otherwise, you'll need to do it through the command line. There's lots
> > of examples on Google and YouTube; here's one using CentOS 6:
> >
> > http://docs.intuitivetechnology.com/article/92-how-to-mount-linux-filesystem-from-a-live-cd-and-copy-a-backup
> >
> > But it's essentially the same procedure no matter what distro's LiveCD
> > you use.
> >
> > Good luck!
>
> I tried legacy boot option and I was able to install the os. But I think that
> was a mistake I cannot boot back into windows, I have a very regretting doubt
> that I wiped out the windows 10 operating system.

In dom0 run 'sudo cfdisk' (assuming you only have one disk - if not ,use
cfdisk /dev/sda, or cfdisk /dev/sdb)
That command will show you the partitions on your disk and you should
be able to see if you still have the Windows partitions.

If you had Windows booting in UEFI mode, and you have switched to legacy
boot, that would explain why you cant now boot Windows. It IS possible
to mix boot modes - first establish exactly what position you are in and
then we may be able to help.