In short, software is to be installed in your template exactly the same as
you would do it in the ‘upstream’ way.

So if you are using a debian template, you’d be able to go to the debian
wiki pages that explain how to do it.

So your question 1 and two are answers with; “like in the upstream distro".

> 3. What if we need to install a package that's not available via a repo?

This opens a bit more complex situation because software not available for a
public repo may cause the issue of it not being trusted. I don’t trust
skype, for instance.

Technically the installation is not too difficult, you just follow the
instructions from the place you find the software.
But it is important to assess how much you trust this software and its
installer because changes made in a template will have an effect on ALL
qubes that are based on it.
Installing untrusted software in a template may end up exposing your data in
the “work” qube that is based on it.

You may consider creating a new AppVM where you install the software (again,
using the instructions from the place where you find the software). Check the
/rw/config dir, there is a binds configuration that allows you to specify
which files or directories are kept between restarts.

Hope this helps.
--
Tom Zander
Blog: https://zander.github.io