On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 1:59:45 PM UTC+1, Fabrizio Romano Genovese wrote:
> Ok, I dug a bit deeper into this. It doesn't look like a problem of how much
> memory I give to VMs. Essentially, my QubesOS boots in two different ways:
>
> - When QubesOS is happy, it starts in ~1 min (yup, starting up all the VMs
> still takes a while). The overall system is very reactive, for instance if I
> type qvm-ls I obtain some output straight away. Moreover, if I start a VM the
> notification "VM blabla is starting" is displayed immediately.
>
> - When QubesOS is not happy, it starts in ~3mins. The overall system is very
> slow, qvm-ls takes 3-4 seconds to display output, and starting a VM takes up
> to 20 seconds. Even the notification "VM blabla is starting" is displayed 4-5
> seconds after the command is issued. Moreover the battery is drained much
> much quicker (200% quicker give or take).
>
> What makes Qubes happy or not happy to start seems to be completely random. I
> have a slight suspect that this may depend on booting the laptop while
> plugged/unplugged, but I cannot confirm this.
> Essentially my Qubes experience atm can be exemplified as follows: "At boot,
> throw a coin. If it's heads then it's fine, otherwise it's fubar". Any
> suggestion (or report of similar behavior) would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
> Fab

The battery issue, btw, as far as I recall is nothing new in Qubes 4. It's not
something specifc to your system, and if it gets fixed, it'll probably be an
update to fix all the Qubes 4 systems out there. But maybe there are settings
you can flip to fix it manually, however it's not something I've checked.

Make sure the VM's that start at boot, are starting just as slow (or quick) as
if you started them on an already running Qubes system. If the speed is
similar, then at least you can assume it has nothing to do with the actual
booting process.

It sounds weird that it happens randomly, maybe a few more clues are needed to
hunt down the actual reason as to why it happens, unless someone with better
insight drops by.