On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 4:17:10 AM UTC+1, Jo wrote:
> Yes, im running the backups trough sys-usb-> extern ssd.The sys-usb is
> the default one from the installation.Im doing a complete new setup, for
> the very same reasons you mentioned.
>
> Updating (and enabling testingrepos) was the very first thing i did.
>
> Im using coreboot+seabios and coreboot+grub+encrypted /boot, i could try
> an installation with the original bios/firmware, however this would be
> only for testing-purposes, since it would completely break my my
> security-setup/threat-model.
>
> They device(x230/i7/16gbram) did run qubes 3:2 so far without any
> issues.(and the very same coreboot images)
>
> Thanks for the hint, i will play around a bit tomorrow with different
> coreboot images.
>
> cheers.
>

> On 01/28/2018 03:56 AM, Yuraeitha wrote:
> >
> > - Are you running the backup through an AppVM? Doing backup in dom0 may
> > cause bugs or be really slow. I believe this is involved in the
> > python/admin code in Qubes 4, and is therefore different than it was in
> > Qubes 3.2. So in Qubes 4, be sure to do it in an AppVM, freshly made in
> > Qubes 4. The general idea I believe is to allow to network the backup
> > process, that's why it was made to work in an AppVM. No attention was given
> > to allow backup in dom0 here, probably on purpose since nothing should be
> > done in dom0 anyway.
> >
> > - Is the template/AppVM you're using specifically to run the backup based
> > on a Qubes 4 template/AppVM? While Qubes 3.2. AppVM's can work in Qubes 4,
> > it's generally my experience that they are more buggy/slow, and work better
> > if re-made in Qubes 4 and then transfer the files over. Personally I took
> > no chances and purged all my Qubes 3.2. templates/AppVM's in favour for
> > fresh Qubes 4 ones. Removing Qubes 3.2. templates is obvious due to likely
> > code differences in the qubes-core-agent-* packages, etc., but the AppVM is
> > more controversial without confirmation and based on anecdotal experience.
> > Generally I experienced improvements by purging Qubes 3.2. AppVM's in
> > favour for freshly Qubes 4 made ones.
> >
> > - Did you update dom0? I've also seen the qvm-create not working, but this
> > only happens on a buggy install of Qubes 4, typically with python errors on
> > the last step during first boot when creating default VM-configuarations
> > and networking VM's. Generally I solved it either by re-install with
> > different UEFI/BIOS settings, EFI/Grub settings, UEFI/BIOS update, try
> > switch between EFI/Grub boot methods, loading different drivers.
> >
> > Generally the most effective method to get Qubes 4 RC-1/2/3 to work on a
> > system that I had issues with, was to unplug the drive, put it in a machine
> > that works with Qubes. Then install Qubes, update it fully, and then put it
> > back into the first machine again. Usually always work for me on any
> > machine that on paper should support Qubes. Also Grub is easier to do this,
> > as EFI paths can be a pain to adjust, they change when moving from a
> [...]

Np's :) I hope you succeed!

I've sometimes had longer issues with the UEFI/BIOS settings. I remember once
when I started using Qubes, I used a couple of days to figure out why I could't
install Qubes on a z170 Asus motherboard, i5 6500 CPU. Then it turned out it
was a UEFI/BIOS setting to allow two graphic cards (one intel onboard, the
other extenal nvidia card). Quite frankly, I was stunned by the cause,
sometimes it's settings we least expect to cause any problems. The mix of VT-d,
hypervisors and other exotic things in Qubes, seems to make it more sensitive
to some UEFI/BIOS settings.