On Mon, January 15, 2018 2:15 am, pr0xy wrote:

> The company is using a Squid transparent proxy for HTTP/HTTPS and
> another proxy for FTP (which I haven't completely figured out yet). The
> proxies are:
>
> HTTP PROXY http://proxy.example.com:8080
> HTTPS PROXY http://proxy.example.com:8080
> FTP PROXY http://proxy.example.com:10021
>

> Step 1: Whonix
>

> Set the torrc so that Whonix can connect thru the proxy. Go to
> sys-whonix | Tor User Config and edit the torrc file to add these lines:
>
> DisableNetwork 0
> HTTPproxy 10.0.0.1:8080
> HTTPSproxy 10.0.0.1:8080
> FascistFirewall 1
>

> It's important here to use the IP address instead of the proxy name.
> I've confirmed this on the Whonix forums.
>

> Step 2: Set TemplateVM apps to use proxy
>

> As Marek stated above, you can set http_proxy and https_proxy variables
> in your template(s) and all app VMs based on them automatically will pick
> it up. Just create /etc/profile.d/proxy.sh and export appropriate
> variables from there.
>
> I added the following to
> /etc/profile.d/proxy.sh
> in Fedora and /etc/environment
> in Debian templates:
>
> export http_proxy=http://proxy.example.com:8080 export
> https_proxy=http://proxy.example.com:8080
> export ftp_proxy=http://proxy.example.com:10021 export
> HTTP_PROXY=http://proxy.example.com:8080
> export HTTPS_PROXY=http://proxy.example.com:8080 export
> FTP_PROXY=http://proxy.example.com:10021
>

> Here I used the fully qualified domain names instead of the proxy IP.
>

> Step 3: Allow Qubes TemplateVMs to update via sys-firewall
>

> Don't do this on the Whonix templates. They update thru sys-whonix.
>

> Add the following to the bottom of
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d
> in Debian, and /etc/dnf/dnf.conf
> in Fedora after ### QUBES END ###:
>

> (ex.)
> [user@fedora-26 ~]$ sudo gedit /etc/dnf/dnf.conf
> .
> .
> ### QUBES END ###
> proxy=http://10.0.0.1:8080
>

> Again, here I had to use the IP of the proxy. I tested with the fully
> qualified name, and it didn't work.
>
> Finally, allow the proxy IP on the firewall of EACH TemplateVM
> From the Qubes Manager (R3.2) | Firewall rules
> Address 10.0.0.1
> Protocol "Any"
>

> That's working for me. I will try further experimentation with IPtables
> and a ProxyVM, as those seem like better solutions. However, in the
> meantime I have a working Qubes system and can actually do some work with
> it instead of messing around with settings...for now.

I'm attempting to convert the above into a Qubes doc
(https://github.com/awokd/qubes-doc/blob/transproxy/configuration/transparent-proxy.md)
but don't have a Squid proxy to test against.

For anyone who does (or is familiar with how they work):
A) Does it look right?
B) In step 3, adding apt/dnf proxy settings to all AppVMs based on the
same template as the UpdateVM's seems a bit broad. Is there a way to
fine-tune it?
C) Any special R4.0 considerations?