On 02/27/2018 12:42 PM, Yuraeitha wrote:
On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 6:08:57 PM UTC+1, awokd wrote:
On Tue, February 27, 2018 5:00 pm, Yuraeitha wrote:

I'm working on an update script btw, which might solve issues like these.

I haven't tested it but I noticed there's a clean action, so you can do:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=clean

Not exactly sure what it does but it might simplify things if it works.

Yes that is a good trick, but Marek recently told me not to use it though, from
what I understand it's because it causes extra load on the server, which is bad
if too many people does it. So the clean command is probably really good if
only used sparingly once in a while. But maybe it could be used in the script
with some kind of countdown, like for example if it only cleans once a month?
But would that be useful though?

I didn't mention or show the script to Marek, as it was only a few days
afterwords I started working on it. But he did tell me to use --refresh instead
when he saw I used the clean command. I found the --refresh flag in fedora
template, but I couldn't get it to work in dom0. Though I found --check-only in
the qubes-dom0-update manual, presumably it's the same as --refresh and only
updates the metadata? Seemingly debian does it all automatically already too.
uh, too many questions that needs sorted out. I definitely need these sorted
out with a degree of certainty before I give this script to other people, I
don't want to risk messing someone elses Qubes system up with it, that would
suck.

So maybe clean is not needed if metadata are cleaned? I believe the clean
command works very well indeed, but from what I understood from Marek at the
time, it might overdo it.

I'll see if I can upload the script when I get home later today so you can see
it (I'm on the road atm), I'll post a link here so it's easier to discuss any
potential pitfalls in it.

FWIW, I'm working on porting my updater to 4.0. The existing version already uses "clean packages" and I may add --refresh (which has worked for me) as well.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket