On 2018-03-01 15:07, awokd wrote:
> On Fri, March 2, 2018 12:20 am, yreb...@riseup.net wrote:
>> per the network printing docs it says to :
>>

>> "Open an AppVM (make sure it’s based on the template where you just
>> installed the printer, normally all AppVMs are based on the default
>> template), and test if printing works. If it doesn’t then probably the
>> AppVM doesn’t have networking access to the printer – in that case
>> adjust the firewall settings for that AppVM in Qubes Manager."
>
> To break it down:
> 1. Install printer into cloned template, using its network IP
> 2. Shutdown template
> 3. Start AppVM based on the cloned template
....I did all this and more , installing the brother driver in the
Template ; however at the end it asks

---
  When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI ?",

 For USB Users: Choose N(No)
 For Network Users: Choose Y(Yes) and DeviceURI number.
---

So, I chose "yes" then it wanted something like the IPP:// address   ; I
may have put in the gateway address  and got nowhere
I guess your saying it doesn't matter if it didn't work in the Template
, but I'm not sure where and which IP address to put in the AppVM

> If your AppVM is on sys-firewall with no custom firewall rules, you
> shouldn't have to add the printer's IP anywhere (except possibly within
> the AppVM) when you print for the first time.
>
>> I also couldn't get anything to print from my
>> xubuntu  HVM
>
> Are you sure the printer is on the network and Linux compatible?.....yes , it
> prints on my other  linux mint machine with the .deb package, though I used
> the .rpm package in The template ....

And for the IP address of the printer in the AppVM use the gateway of
the AppVM ?

in system-config-printer  there are various options  in settings->
device URI: usb://dev/usblp0  is  filled in ,  and in printer state it
say "waiting for printer to become available"

perhaps I DONT need to tweak the fw settings in the VM Manager,  but
how or do I need to input the IP of the printer  (I have a DDWRT router
fwiw,  if I'm supposed to assign a static IP somehow, and if that is not
going to mess up the other computers using the network printer)

As a final option,  I don't use sys-usb qubes,  so maybe I could connect
the USB cable  and try it that way instead ... sigh