On 10 March 2018 at 00:03, Yuraeitha <yuraei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I did a benchmark comparison (not overly accurate, but it might give some
> pointers).
>
> Your CPU 9061 rating. Single Thread Rating: 2084. Margin for error: Low.
> No of Cores: 4 (2 logical cores per physical).
> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4900MQ+%40+2.80GHz
> 15 seconds to open dispVM.
>
> My CPU 2820 rating, Single Thread Rating: 1051. Margin for error: Low.
> No of Cores: 2 (2 logical cores per physical).
> https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+M-
> 5Y10c+%40+0.80GHz&id=2464
> 33,49 seconds to open picture in dispVM.
>
> So I got one real core, and one logical core to run my AppVM's, while you
> essentially have double up, 2 cores, 2 logical (unless you modified default
> Qubes CPU core layout to AppVM's of course).
>
> If you notice the value rating pr. core, yours is rated 2048, while mine
> is rated 1051. That's a roughly double up difference in performance.
>
> What I wonder about, what would happen if you assigned the 3'rd
> physical+logical core to your AppVM usecases, while preserving the last 1
> physical+logical core in dom0? Would it give you 75% performance in AppVM's
> instead of just 50% performance?

Start = click on launch DispVM Firefox
Stop = default website starts to load in Firefox

Mode = PVH 4GB RAM, 1vCPUs, Memory Balancing enabled
1st start = 19 seconds
2nd start = 19 seconds

Mode = PVH 4GB RAM, 2vCPUs, Memory Balancing enabled
1st start = 16 seconds
2nd start = 16 seconds

Increase vCPUs:
Mode = PVH, 4GB RAM, 4vCPUs, Memory Balancing enabled
1st start = 15 seconds
2nd start = 16 seconds

Disable Memory Belancing,
Mode = PVH, 4GB RAM, 4vCPUs, Memory Balancing disabled
1st start = 12 seconds
2nd start = 13 seconds

Mode = PVH, 8GB RAM, 6vCPUs, Memory Balancing disabled
1st start = 13 seconds
2nd start = 13 seconds

I did the same tests with Virt-Mode = HVM

Mode = HVM 4GB RAM, 2vCPUs, Memory Balancing enabled
1st start = 22 seconds
2nd start = 21  seconds

Mode = HVM 4GB RAM, 2vCPUs, Memory Balancing disabled
1st start = 17 seconds
2nd start = 18 seconds

memory balance brings a small performance improvement.
Using Virt-Mode PVH seems to deliver the best performance

===
Prebuild -> fast delivery

It is a very interesting idea would to have prebooted disposable VMs
available. which gets activated as soon as I need a disposable VM.
As I have enougfh ressources I don't care if my RAM is eaten up or I loose
a bit CPU performance.
If disposable VM opens within a few seconds, I can change my workflow and
open my documents in a disposable VM.

[799]