On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 5:07:24 PM UTC-4, Ted Brenner wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> My current desktop is getting old so I'm looking for an upgrade. Obviously I
> want to run qubes on it so hoping some of you may have recently built a new
> desktop that you're currently running qubes on. I've seen a lot of emails
> about laptops but rarely about desktops so thought it was worth asking.
>

> Also, I've seen the hardware compatibility list. The problem with that is you
> have no idea how old those posts are and what sort of system they're part of.
> Or if they work with Qubes 4.
>

> Anyway, thanks for help in advance.
>
> Ted
>

> --
>
> Sent from my Desktop

My advice would be to research a mobo and cpu combo on linux forums and mailing
lists.  Read linux forums and see if people have alot of problems with that set
up or how popular they are, if it works well or not.

For gpu its best to use intel which is most compatible with linux,   if you
want a discrete gpu, which would only be for desktop effects but does improve
performance somewhat.  You would be better off with a gpu that is not too new.
 I'd say don't get one that is newer then 2 or 3 years old.  Also research
their linux compatibility.

Also to make sure the mobo is compatible with Qubes,  look at the manual
online.   Look for vt-d iommu option is available.     Is it on by default or
not, do they describe it as a security feature.   Even better and as qubes
documentation has recommended,  best if you actually see a pic of the option
shown enabled in the manual.

I would suggest gigabyte or asus business type mobos.   not gaming ones or
anything like that.   Also would suggest it has a ps2 legacy keyboard port and
you use a usb to ps2 adapter for better security when using sys-usb vm.

Now some others on here would say that is not going far enough and might
suggest some server mobo you can flash an open source bios onto.  Thats great
if your a computer expert if not just get something basic for less headaches
you will be reasonably secure.