If it helps same problem here, after using the Thinkpad Troubleshooting docs link, went through the whole thing, then there is *No xen.cfg  to change to BOOT only a efi.cfg (which I saw in another post in the usergroup someone also saw) ;  I changed the efi.cfg  references to BOOT and was able to install, but after install  in EFI mode,   I get display problems with the boot up penguins and loading then the blank screen.   This is a T520 series...

So, I went back to the legacy install and all is well for now