My Fedora setup is still working great. Passes OpenDNS check when they are
added to config, reconnects generally after I turn off my wireless.

I am trying to get this to work with a stock Debian9 template(upgraded from
Debian8 with stock install).

I can't seem to get it to work with Debian, the closest I have come is to a
pop-up alert saying "Ready to connect" or words to that effect. I feel like I
am missing a basic step in adding OpenVPN. I am adding the following commands:

su
apt-get install openvpn
apt-get install nautilus
apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome   ?????

It just works using the Fedora 26 template(Not minimal template)...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...