Hi. I think that was only half of the answer. I have had this problem too: of
removing original templates; ie- debian-9, fedora-26.

The documentation;
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/remove-vm-manually/
is only viable via templates that are not "installed by (system/dom0)".

The GUI gives the error "You cannot remove templates that were installed by
(system/dom0)". The TTY gives that error plus many more, even when following
the
documentation above.

I had to reinstall my entire system because I interrupted a backup restore and
the restore gave me too many templates that were "installed by system":
debian-9; debian-9-1; fedora-26; fedora-26-1

A small bug that should be noted: sometimes when deleting qubes, they still
have
a target.wants at boot.