Ive been looking at kernel compiling. Ive amounted certain information,
but not enough.

I see 3 git repos with kernels: qubes-linux-kernel, rtiangha and fepitre.

I know I can change versions with $ git checkout *version*

I also know that I can download the sources and build them and I would
preferably
edit a .config file to edit my options and hardware.

What I need to know:
-how to use the gen-config file.
-whats the difference between the config-base, config-qubes and
config-qubes-minimal? (well the minimal part is obvious)
-I can edit one of these config files to build with my kernel, correct?
-I have built a .config using the '$ make oldconfig' command and it was a
nightmare. The most effective way to configure a .config is to use '$ make
menuconfig' correct? A good balance between my time and control?
-Is there a convenient way to merge an existing .config with the qubes .config?

Any other tips?
Is there a qubes doc on this?