On Saturday, 7 April 2018 22:26:18 UTC+10, brenda...@gmail.com  wrote:
> On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 9:27:11 PM UTC-4, Drew White wrote:
> > On Saturday, 7 April 2018 10:41:13 UTC+10, Thierry Laurion  wrote:
> > > You seem to have misunderstood. Ivy bridge and beyond on the Intel side
> > > will provide you with SLAT capabilities, IOMMU and virtualization, which
> > > is all that is required.  A x230 with 16gb ram and a i5 or i7 will
> > > provide you akk the power needed if you have an sad drive.
> >
> > I only went on what I was told. I have Ivy Bridge, and they don't have SLAT.
>
> Which CPU in particular? Did you look it up at the following link?
>   https://ark.intel.com/Search/FeatureFilter?productType=processors

X5600 series.

> > At least, they don't SAY they do.
>
> Which "they" are we talking about? If you mean Intel, they are on top of
> keeping the ark pages updated with this information.

"they" as in the CPU(s).

Yes, the Intel ones. But if it's not turned on in the CPU, then it won't be
available.

> I doubt it. But CPU-reporting tools might misreport information due to a bug,
> or might report how the BIOS has configured the CPU rather than what the CPU
> is capable of.

You were right about that, the version of the tool I was using was the wrong
one, and didn't know about EPT/SLAT. So I'll try it again with that CPU when I
get to that location next week.