On 04/24/2018 09:01 AM, Drew White wrote:
> On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 15:28:40 UTC+10, Ivan Mitev  wrote:
>> On 04/24/2018 08:14 AM, Drew White wrote:
>>> Is it possible for every guest to share one virtual drive for cacheing and
>>> auto mounting to same location for file transfers?
>>
>> It isn't possible unless you set up a clustered file system, which
>> implies having in-band or out-of-band communication channels between
>> guests. This breaks compartmentalization, which is Qubes' raison d'etre,
>> so if you really need this you're better off ditching Qubes and go with
>> plain kvm (or xen) VMs.
>>

> I'm not talking about for all guests. and the channel would be one image
> file, read only.  Writable only by one guest that does the downloading
> securely and checks and writes the files.

AFAIK it's not possible. You need a clustered FS to see changes in real
time; If you share an image/device you'll have to
- make sure the guest with write rights has fsync'ed the changes to the
FS and/or that no cache is involved.
- unmount/remount the shared volume in R/O guests each time you need to
read new files.

I have no idea if Qubes allows sharing a volume between guests; I'd
imagine that qvm-* commands won't allow that so that users don't shoot
themselves in the foot, but you may be able to achieve this with lower
level commands or by tweaking the qvm-* commands' source.

But since you're sending content from a VM to other guests, the security
level of your R/O guests is basically dependent on the one you download
files to, so you could open some firewall ports and setup a networked
clustered FS like glusterfs.